Today I’m officially one quarter of a century old. I can’t believe I’m actually 25! It seems like just yesterday I was graduating elementary school – which, by the way, I thought was going to be the end of the world. How could life possibly be any bigger than elementary school? Well years later I know just how big life can be.
This birthday is different for me. I don’t feel a physical change (thank God), but I feel a shift in my mindset. One that’s been brewing for 25 years. The younger me was so impressionable, so concerned about fitting in with my immediate surroundings. And while I’ll always be influenced by the things and people that around me, I’ve reached a point in my life where I’ve learned to unapologetically live by the rules that make me happy. In celebration of my 25th birthday, I’m sharing 25 lessons/proverbs I’ve learned to live by for a life that fulfills me.
1. You’ll never be where you want to be in life. That’s a good thing. As you grow and reach your goals, they will evolve and become even bigger. That means you’re constantly growing.
2. Speaking of growing, make sure you never stop. Keeping reading. Keep learning from people who are more intelligent in areas in which you want to grow. If you’re not growing, you’re dead.
3. Relationships evolve. Sometimes into beautiful lifelong exchanges. Sometimes into simple memories of the past. Either way, accept the relationship for what it is and act accordingly.
4. Love is a choice. Use your mind to decide if you want to love someone. If not, move on. If so, use your whole heart to love them, and make sure they feel loved.
5. There’s an exception to every rule. None of the most successful people became successful by abiding by the limits society placed on them. When necessary, finesse the “system” in your favor. Of course, when it’s ethical.
6. Listen more than you speak.
7. Foster relationships. You haven’t mastered this just yet, but keep trying and you’ll get there. Life can be busy, and responsibilities can consume you, but success is nothing without the ones you love. Be sure to let them know you love them with your words AND your actions.
8. You have the ability to change the world. Do it.
9. Invest in your future. Step out of your financial comfort zone and invest in opportunities that will create a better future for you and your family.
10. But don’t forget to live for the present. You work hard for your money and tomorrow isn’t promised. Find a healthy balance of enjoying today and preparing for tomorrow.
11. If it won’t affect you in 5 years, don’t spend more than 5 minutes stressing over it.
12. Embrace your introverted-ness. It’s fine if you’d prefer an intimate dinner with close friends than a night out at the club with a million strangers. Don’t force yourself into social situations that you don’t want to be in.
13. But don’t be so introverted that you miss out on opportunities that will help you reach your goals and dreams.
14. Success takes hard work. Work hard.
15. Take time to make sure you’re healthy. Physically, mentally and emotionally. You only have one body to live this life. Protect it and take care of it.
16. The world is so much smaller that what’s around you. Travel the world and see the vast creation that God so eloquently created. You’ll become more socially and self aware because of it.
17. Cash is king.
18. Capture the moment but don’t forget to live in the moment. A picture is worth a thousand words but the memory is priceless.
19. There’s money out there to made. Over $60 trillion to be exact. Go make you some.
20. Compare yourself to people who are better than you. Comparison CAN be the thief of joy. But it can also be the fire you need under you’re a** to work harder.
21. Write your goals down. Make them physical realities instead of imagined possibilities. Then look at them everyday, and ask yourself “what have you done today to be one step closer to making those dreams a lived reality?”
22. Life isn’t worth living without a little, or a lot, of risk. Jump out of a plane or deep dive in the sea a few times. The rush is unlike any other you’ll experience and it’ll put life into perspective.
23. Trust God. He knows everything.
24. Life moves at the speed of lightning. Yeesh, you’re already 25.
25. Curate a life that fulfills you. Make your home a sanctuary. Make your social circle a diverse set of relationships that you can learn from, grow with, and laugh with. Do work that allows you to live your passion and change lives. Create things that are an extension of you.
Turtle Neck | Size XS | H&M
Denim | Size 0 | Abercrombie & Fitch (similar)
Shoes | Size 5 | Old Navy (old)
Denim Jacket | Size XS | Old Navy
Purse & Bracelets | MINKAH (coming soon)