I’ve always heard how amazing Charleston, South Carolina is. The beaches, the architecture and importantly, the food. So when we decided to plan a quick weekend vacation, Charleston quickly came to mind. It’s located fairly close to Atlanta, so we could save money by driving rather than flying; and with the unpredictable Atlanta weather, I just wanted sun and beach.
On our first morning there, we woke up early to catch the sunrise on Folly Beach by the fishing pier. The sky was cloudy but beautiful nonetheless. The sun peeked through the clouds, painted the sky a multitude of colors, and made the ocean glisten a rich gold.
We weren’t the only ones with the idea. Plenty of others, tourists and residents alike, were there to start their day off with this awe-inspiring view. Jogging along the coastline, walking their dogs, building sand castles with their children, or strolling hand-in-hand with their significant other. There’s something about the serenity of a sunrise over the ocean that puts your mind at ease and calms your spirit – its the perfect way to set the mood for a peaceful day. Not to mention, its free!
Speaking of free, here are a few tips to plan the ultimate but inexpensive weekend getaway:
- Location, Location, Location: Choosing a location close to home is ideal for a quick and inexpensive getaway. Why? Because transportation will cost you close to nothing. You can either drive your personal car, which besides gas, costs you nothing, or you can opt for a rental car. The alternate option is to fly. Frontier and Spirit have unbelievable roundtrip prices for flights between neighboring states – many under $100.
- Beach is Better: A city on the beach allows you to save a bit of money since laying out on the beach costs you nothing. Whether spending the morning on the beach for sunrise, laying out in the afternoon for lunch, or spending the night enjoying the sunset on the water, you can pass a few hours, or even an entire day, on the beach.
- Grouponable Activities: Before you go, research Groupons available in the area. You’ll find unique local activities at reduced prices. Additionally, this helps you plan out your days so you’re not trying to find things to do at the last minute.
- Inexpensive Lodging: Opting for an Airbnb or a regular bed and breakfast can cost you a lot less than a large chain hotel. I’ll be talking about this in a later post, so stay tuned!
- Plan Early: Last, but probably most importantly, is early planning. Booking travel and lodging as early as possible will (most times) land you the most inexpensive rates.